Saturday, November 15, 2008

One Day at a Time

I went to a meeting yesterday. It was good to find other women dealing with breast cancer. They were farther down the treatment path than I am, and they had good advice. Carol, the instructor, is the mother of Meggie. Meggie and Cara attended high school together, and are now at college together. When Cara first heard my news, she turned immediately to Meggie, since Carol dealt with breast cancer (and won!) when both girls were in high school. So Meggie has been a huge support for Cara. I am glad for that. Carol and the other women were an huge support for me as well.
*********************
Today, I got my wig in the mail. It will look okay. When my hair begins to fall out, we're ready for what comes next.
*********************
I guess that how you fight cancer.
You do it one day at a time,
one step at a time,
one challenge at a time,
until you've won.

9 comments:

Mikey said...

That's right, and you can do this!

Anonymous said...

Yes you can!

DavidM
Have you thought about getting a head tattoo? :)

http://api.ning.com/files/FnfidBasEZNJCzZPd6FpReG9mp6e2myR5nSXoq0PNZSGPc**7vbLTSI6BX7luuqfFgAEBmLR8PI2JzR0kzQ7wAa3KgR-Hub7/Head.jpg

Pencil Writer said...

Yes. Always one day at a time. We're all rooting for you. (IS that the right way to spell "rooting'?)

Lavinia said...

One day at a time. My mother's motto, too. In cancer and in life. Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is not ours...

I am thinking of you, and thoughts of you come to me unexpectedly throughout the day. Someone in Toronto has you on her mind and is rooting for you. I wish so badly that you didn't have to go through any of this, that it had never happened to you. Stay strong, dear Debby...

steviewren said...

It is good for you to have a support group that knows what you are going through...and good for Cara too. I hope today is a good day.

Bush Babe said...

Good to hear the support is coming to you from all corners. We've got your back.
BB

Cara said...

It's alright mom, you're doing just fine. Everyone fights in their own way.. Everyday you are proving that you've got the strength to take this... It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. I'm proud of you. ♥

jeanie said...

Scientifically I would say it is impossible to do it any other way, Deb!!

Every day will bring new challenges - and knowing you, new wonders and delights.

So glad you have found a support group.

Debby said...

DavidM - in a word, my friend, no. Seriously, can you imagine the feeling of a needle on skin pulled tight across a skull. ACK!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO. I'm not into pain, as ironic as this sounds.

OOOOOOOOh, PW! For all you Aussies, she meant the American 'rooting' (as in cheering on) not the Aussie version of the word (as in, we are so not going there). Just think cheerleaders. Wait. Don't. Crap!

Support does help. I felt a lot lighter coming out of that meeting than I did going in, and I thank you all for your support.