Saturday, November 22, 2008

Officium

It strikes me as strange, how pieces of your life all come together, as if it were planned. Yesterday was kind of stressful day, and I was trying to get the house cleaned. I'd gotten behind this week. Way behind. Clutter makes me nervous, as anal as that sounds. I like things neat. The phone kept ringing, and they were important calls, and I was walking around with a phone to my ear doing housework. I'd gotten some sleep, I felt better than I had all week, and I don't take those sorts of days for granted anymore. When I get them, I use them. One of the things I did was empty out my CD case, wipe the dust off each CD, sort them out by genre. I actually put the whole CD turnstile into the bathtub and washed away an embarrassingly large number of dustbunnies. As I replaced the CDs, I came across many that I'd forgotten about, and I separated them out to listen to again. One was Officium, by the Hilliard Ensemble. Initially, when I listened to it, I was disconcerted by the saxophone wandering through the Gregorian Chant. It just didn't fit together. It was like smoking in church, or having sex at the altar. I listened to it a couple of times through, and after I got over the initial surprise of it, I found that it flowed together nicely, and was soothing. However, no one else in this house shares my penchant for Gregorian Chant, and so it was one of those things which, once put in the CD rack, languished quietly with the ever increasing dust bunny population and my cherished bluegrass collection.
************************
Today, it is snowing, again. I am (okay, I was, before I got sidetracked) folding laundry. And I am listening to Officium. The house is quiet, and I am alone, and I am at peace. Although the gift was mailed out probably three years ago, it was sent for today, I think. And it is perfect. Although I've lost track of the giver, I say to Jeremy, thanks again.

6 comments:

jeanie said...

I don't mind a bit of gregorian chant - it sort of travels right through to your core, doesn't it?

Sax also can have that effect - I can see how it can work, but I can also see your discomfort.

Nothing like finding the old new again!

Scotty said...

Oooh, Gregorian Chants - excellent way to relax - might have to dust off a few CDs myself...

Debby said...

I've always thought that we recognize gregorian chant, instinctively, from an ancient place locked deep inside all of us.

Bush Babe said...

Amazing how the very thing we need is sitting right there waiting to be discovered...

I am going to have this chant in my head for the rest of the night now. Guess there are worse things!!

:-)
BB

steviewren said...

I wonder what the folks at work would say about me if I brought a Gregorian Chant CD to work. They already accuse me of listing to elevator music. With phones ringing off the hook and so many people talking all the time, I find classical music soothing. I'd love to hear your CD, I off to see if I can find something like it online.

Redlefty said...

Sorta like the quote you like from Hal that we never lose the ages we've been before.

Maybe we never lose the people who have been in our lives either?

Cool day you had there!