Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Life Goes On

Even though I sometimes cannot see past this big mountain in front of me, there are other things going on in my life besides cancer. Cara came home this weekend. It was not, unfortunately, to see me. No. Cara has met someone. When she first told me, I had to shut my eyes. My first thought was that she's struggling right now, herself, and doing a beautiful job of being supportive. Even though she will not say, I'm sure that she's worried and afraid about things. But she will not say. My immediate fear, when she began to tell me her news, was that she would find herself jumping into things for the comfort, rushing headlong into someone's arms because she simply needed to feel arms around her. It turns out that her fellow is here. We don't know him, actually, but we know who he is. He seems to be a very good fellow, hardworking. He's graduated college already, and is working toward his teacher's certificate. He volunteers his time within our community. He has a brother who needs assistance, and he is there for his brother and parents. Although Cara has known him for a while, it wasn't until she came back from college for a visit that she ran into him again. And instead of seeing him as she always had, as a 'grown-up', for the first time, she saw him as a peer, someone just a few years older than herself. And after that visit, there were phone calls and IMing. Finally, after weeks, there was a date. And finally, a few weeks after that, Cara decided to let me in on this big news.
***********************
Cara came home, again this weekend, and she had her second date. Cara is shy, and she will not call this by any names. They are 'getting to know one another', she'll tell you. She's not ready to say the words. But there is a glow on her face. She spends a lot of time staring off into space. For the first time, Cara has fallen in love. I can plainly see that she has fallen hard. Best of all, it sounds like the feeling is mutual.

16 comments:

Redlefty said...

How beautiful!

Hal Johnson said...

Yep, Mom knows it when she sees it!

Cara said...

Datinggggggggggggggggggggg, mom. We call it dating. This is no longer the 70s, we don't brandy about the "L" word anymore! We're two people getting to know each other through a series of dates.

Bob said...

My teenagers used to call it "talking." Of course I never understood that but finally came to realize it was not "talking" as I understood "talking." I think it's the step right before dating. Anyway, I'm glad Cara has defined whatever it is. And GOOD FOR HER!!!

Pam said...

Made me smile, Debby! :)

jeanie said...

lol Cara!!

Ain't it called courting?

And it is grand learning a new person who you actually enjoy being in the company off, has integrity and is willing to show you wonder?

I love that stuff...

jeanie said...

of, not off.

Mary Paddock said...

Awwww . . .

It's no real wonder that our teenagers don't let us in on their love-lives, is it Deb? :) I suspect my eighteen year old, Jeremiah, won't bring a girl home until he's proposed to her at the rate I'm going. :)

Debby said...

Cara: bandy about, not brandy about.

Mary: Dylan has advised me that I'll get a wedding invitation.

Everyone else: It is beautiful. I like seeing something beautiful take root and bloom during these dark days. It reminds me of a Christmas cactus. It makes me smile too.

Bush Babe said...

Oh no Deb - I too like to BRANDY things around. Some of these things (like introducing a new beau to one's loved ones) require alcohol-inspired intestinal fortitude! And I bet Cara doesn't say "beau" either!!!
:-)
BB
PS THis post made me smile! Nice start to the day... thanks

Debby said...

Cara: Pay no mind to BB. It's bandy. Not brandy. You do not need an underage.

*way to go, BB. She can't drink til she's 21. If we do not meet this beau until she's 21, I'm holding YOU personally responsible. Just saying.*

:^D

PaintedPromise said...

wow. i was gonna say, better you than me Deb lol... i forgot Cara can read this {eyes rolling} but please forgive me as i have a 17-year-old and a 19-year-old and i am basically holding my breath...

Cara i am sincerely happy that you have found a nice guy! and like i always say to my girls, i really truly wish you better luck than i had at your age... bet your mom can relate to that one...

back to Deb - a bright spot like this does give one hope, doesn't it?

as for me, my 19-year-old thinks boys are a pain in the you-know-what and my 17-year-old just got a puppy so i am clinging to hope... however foolishly!

Bush Babe said...

Oh sorry... we are into it at 18 over here. Wanna visit Cara *cackles evilly*
:-)
BB

Deb. I am JOKING.
Cara. I am JOKING. About the brandy. Not the visit!

Debby said...

I knew that it was not all sweetness and light with you, BB. Knew it!

BTW you don't need to assure me when you're joking. I knew that. Hopefully, you could tell I was joking right back.

Aren't you headed for Paradise? Or are you there? Hope the car doesn't give you any grief. Give Jeanie and your mom a hug for me. Enjoy the pre-wedding hysteria. I'm sure that you can come up with something to make the situation infinitely worse *cackles evilly*

Susan: I tried very hard to raise my children wisely. I think Cara will be okay. I'm sure your girls will be as well. Keep the faith woman!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the moment you two. Enjoyed your post Deb - a smile for me too this morning. We are all finally (I think - not over-organised here!) headed Paradise-ward and looking forward to that, too.
Love to you both Barb

rhubarbwhine said...

Deb, such a wonderful little side dish to give you something else to think about. In Australia, we can marry at 17 and drink at 18. Drive at 17 (in some States).
(Just letting you know.....)