Monday, October 20, 2008

Bright (or Not)

I was in the shower this morning, and amidst the cloud of steam and sandalwood and cinnamon, I got the shock of my life. Soaping up, I found a huge lump in my other breast. I went so lightheaded with the discovery that I actually thought that I might faint dead away in the shower. I stood there with my hand frozen. The lump was large, round...my God, how could I have possibly missed this?
***********************
It did not take me long to figure it out. I realized that what I was feeling was my new medport for the chemo. It had been installed a couple Thursdays ago. I've just now gotten to the point where I can soap up without wincing, so feeling this foreign object was new.
***********************
Really. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. I've always known this, but sometimes it strikes me afresh.

6 comments:

rhushouse said...

*I* stopped breathing then!
No wonder you froze.

Bush Babe said...

Oh Deb... in my mind you are a BRIGHT RED crayon. The brightest there is! But you can stop frightening us like that... gads woman!
:-)
BB

Debby said...

I have to tell you...I don't even think I was that scared when I found the first...

I'm very often bright red, due to an unfortunate habit of blurting without thinking.

Once, discussing politics, I referred to the Bill Clinton affair as 'overblown'.

See what I mean. Bright red.

Hal Johnson said...

Yikes! You scared the hell out of me!

But then, I can identify with the bright red thing. Rhonda says that I should carry around a salt shaker for my foot, since nothing tastes worse than unsalted foot.

steviewren said...

Overblown!!! Thanks for my first giggle of the day!

PaintedPromise said...

OMG Debby do NOT do that!!!!! you had my heart right down in my toes... geez i am still trying to catch my breath...

but i will try to file this away in case i ever have a similar experience... learn from others!!