Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blessings

Mary came to visit. She brought supper. She wants to do stuff, clean or whatever. I tidied up before she got here, changed sheets, did two loads of laundry, cleaned the bathroom, and did dishes. The house was neat. With just Tim and I, really, it doesn't get messy much. But Mary needs to be useful. I say, "No. Really. I want to visit. I've always worked hard. Now all of a sudden it is different. So let's visit. We take our drinks to the table, to sit down with Scrabble. I'm trying to explain about really trying hard to see the blessings in all of this. Suddenly, I find that I don't need to. I am staring across the room and out the window, where a buck stands at on the road precisely at the end of my driveway. "Oh, look, Mary!" I breathed. And two old friends see the blessings.
*************************
Later, while we prepare lunch, Mary says, "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I felt so bad the night before your surgery, and I was trying to pray, and I asked God for a sign. I opened my Bible and it fell open to the scene where Christ is brought before Pontius Pilate. The very first words that I saw were 'I see no cause for death.' And so my friend was comforted, and in turn, I was comforted as well.
**************************
Seriously people, blessings everywhere.

6 comments:

jeanie said...

I am hoping that all the blessing are given to you tonight.

Rhubarb Whine said...

I wish you all the blessings the universe has to offer. And more.

Funny you, cleaning up before your visitor.

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

Blessings and prayers, my friend. Keep that wonderful mind open to the wonders around you, and your blessings will naturally multiply. What will be, will be. And we will be with you.
Hugs
BB

M+B said...

I have been following your journey, and I wish you so many blessings. I have an award at my blog for you which I hope you will see as another small blessing.

Eternal Sunshine said...

I have let my reader wall woefully behind, so I am just learning of your new struggle. I will pray for you, and I hope that God gives you many more blessings.

steviewren said...

I've been thinking of you and your test today. I hope everything went well.