Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gimme my Crown!

We've got power again. And phones. Watching all the footage of Hurricane Ike's rampage in Texas, my complaints will seem like mere petulant whining. Our winds only got to 65 MPH, we only lost power for 24 hours, the only damage was fascia torn from one house downtown, and a tree branch which fell away from the house. But Jeanie needs to give up her self appointed 'Drama Queen of the World' title for a few moments.
****************
My jeans were all in the washing machine which stopped midcycle. Yesterday morning, I could not have coffee, I could not take a shower, having a sponge bath with about a quart of water, and I had to go to work to wash my hair. I was packing lunches by oil lamp, and I did not have my customary 'everything' bagel for breakfast. I was flushing the toilets with water from the ornamental pond. The wind was horrible, and I cannot even imagine Michael and his family hunkered down listening to 100+ mph winds. It was a sleepless night here as 65 mph wind roared like a jet plane engine and whipped trees wildly. Imagining even stronger winds? Unimaginable.
***************
This morning I have clean jeans, coffee, bagel, shower, etc. It is quiet outside. I am done with your title, Jeanie. You can now be the Drama Queen of the World again.
PS: The next time that I need borrow the title, I get to wear the crown too.

8 comments:

jeanie said...

Oh no Deb - you can keep that - I have disposable crowns galore over here!!!

I can understand the jeans in mid-cycle putting a dent in your day, no coffee knocking your jaw sideways and using ornamental pond water for the poos (darned strikethrough code won't work) would put a petulant pout on any (pretender?) contender for the DQ title.

Glad you got through okay, even if a little unlogged with water.

Redlefty said...

It's sorta hard for me to call you a whiner when we ourselves haven't hung around for the post-storm chaos.

A friend in Houston emailed today to say that many areas in the city will be out of power for another 2-3 weeks. My office building is still out. House is still out. And police are working shifts at the grocery stores and gas stations to keep things orderly.

My family said no thanks to that! We're full up on drama here.

Glad you're back up and running again!

Scotty said...

Glad to hear everyone's okay, Debby.

Mary Paddock said...

So Ike visited you too?

Glad you're okay. 'Cept I think your crown would look better on me. :)

mary

Debby said...

Redlefty - Thanks for stopping by. I've been praying for you family.

Jeanie - Wait!!!! The crown is a disposible one? Like a Burger King crown for the kidlets? Well. That hardly seems worth the whining.

Scotty - Did you not read the post? I did not get a shower, and I had no clean jeans. Worst part: no coffee! It was harrowing, and I'm lucky to have survived....

Mary - Jeanie said it was a disposible crown. *sigh* Go ahead, take it. I wanted rubies and emeralds and diamonds, the works, sister! I'm bumming.

jeanie said...

Maybe I worded that wrong if it devalued the crown.

Think of it like a hug for your head - there is more than enough to go around!

bruced said...

Hi Debby. I followed you here from your comment on boldgrace.com

Your story touched my heart and I want you to know that you and your daughter will be on my heart and mind for some time to come. I know people in very similar situations, and I know how hard (and confusing) it can be. And I know how it can change our lives to terribly. I hope for a breakthrough, and the peace that comes from finding one's true self.

It sounds like you are in northwestern PA. I'm in southwestern PA, and while your storm experience was probably a little worse than ours, I certainly know what you went through. That was a horrible night for us. And it will end up being an expensive night too. We will need quite a bit of tree service, and our home owner's insurance only covers a part of it. Of course, with all the damage around, it will be days (if not weeks) before the tree people can even come by for an estimate. Oh well, such is life. I'm sure it will all work out for the best.

Well, it's nice to know you. I hope our paths cross again soon!

Care

Lavinia said...

Glad to hear you weren't put out for too long, but 24 hours is actually a long time in my books. We once had power outtage for 3 days...the great north american black out several years ago.... Everything feels so out of whack when the lights don't come on and the appliances don't work.