Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shocked Spitless


I know that I live in a very rural area. I know that there are lots of racists here. I was raised in a very racist home. When I got older, and joined the Army, I discovered that racism was just one more lie that my parents had told me. Still, I'd be really stupid to think that racism does not exist here. Most racists say their racist comments, but if challenged, back down immediately, explaining they're not racist at all, but...and that 'but' is always followed by a series of rationalizations, most of them biased and ignorant. I've always thought of racists as a bit like cockroaches. They scatter like hell when the light is shined on them. They are courageous only in groups, and they are never willing to discuss their points of view. Instead, they'll stand there and trumpet their right to 'freedom of speech'. Yup. They have freedom of speech. However, so do I.

**************

I know that some of the elderly folks in my church believe that if Obama is elected, it is a sign of the end times. Tim was amazed when I told him that. "Why do they think that?" he asked. I told him that I simply didn't have the heart to ask it, because I just did not want to hear.

**************

Today, though, I saw something that made me gasp out loud. Right there, in the middle of someone's yard, over in Eldred Township, there is a huge handpainted sign on 1/2 sheet of plywood. In big white letters it said: 'Vote Right. Vote White'.

*************

I'll be damned. Hardly ever does a column just fall into your lap....

10 comments:

Redlefty said...

Maybe there's a candidate named "White" running for some local office?

Yeah... probably not.

Scotty said...

It's hard to imagine isn't it, Debby? I still think of a saying I heard once that goes along the lines of... if we never judge a person by the colour of their eyes, how then, do we justify judging a person by the colour of their skin?

Personally, I think Barack would make a pretty good President (even though Hilary would have been my 1st choice) and Hilary could even be VP.

I can't say that I think much of John McCain who comes across as racist and misogynistic, often clueless about the conditions of poor and middle class and who, for my liking, is riding his POW status far too much. The choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate is one that strikes me as odd also - I would have thought that her stance on certain issues wouldn't endear her to certain portions of the population.

But then, I'm just an outsider looking in so what do I know? *smile*

I know that whoever gets the job means that their political platform will have an impact on us too because of the ties that exist with the ANZUS Treaty, so yeah, I'm watching with interest.

steviewren said...

Backwards people live everywhere don't they?

I have to add to your comment that I was shocked to hear how some black people in the city where I live talk about Mexicans. I really wanted to ask one woman in particular how her prejudice was any different from what blacks had been subjected to in the past.

Like I said, ignorant people are everywhere.

Mikey said...

Wow, that's quite bold of them. Takes all kinds...
Going to be a very interesting election...

Hal Johnson said...

Too many people grow up with too little love in their lives. Some of them learn to love anyway. Some never do. For them, hate can be strangely comforting.

Portia said...

It's hard to image that there are people who are that ignorant in this day and age.

Shame on them.

Lavinia said...

I think someone should knock that sign down, or spray paint it, or shoot bullets through it, or draw a big red X over it.

Debby said...

Lavinia - he has the right to put up whatever sign he wants in his yard. I however, have the right to take pictures of it, and put it in the paper. Defacing his sign would be against the law. I am hopeful that public outcry will cause him to retreat from his blatent racism. I must admit though, I have a very nasty desire to plant 10,000 Obama signs in his yard. Woo hoo! Good times!

Lavinia said...

You know, if you got some brown paint and painted over the letter 'e' in the second 'vote' and then took some white paint and painted a vertical line at the beginning of the letter 'v' in the second vote, then the sign would read "vote right not white"
tee hee!!!

Bob said...

I grew up around a lot of racism too, especially my dad. There were signs, however, that he had begun to mellow in his old age. When I was handling the sale of his house a couple of years ago after he passed away, his next-door-neighbor, who was black (a fact Dad had never shared with me) spoke to me out in the yard one day, conveyed his condolences and said he and my dad "had really begun to bond." Go figure. Love really can move mountains.