Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Can't Sleep

I have been short sleeped for going on four days. Sunday night was the big storm, and the wind kept me awake into the wee hours. Monday night Stacey arrived home on leave. We have two short weeks with her before she is off to Korea. We stayed up well past our bedtime. Last night was a board meeting which dragged on and on.
I'm tired.
Very tired.
Tonight, I went to bed early. But each time I was about to doze off, the phone chirped. My nephew who was wounded so very badly in Iraq and his wife are expecting a baby. How strange. 27 years ago, I was giving birth for the first time. My sister will be a grandma. Uncle Herman calling to find out about dinner plans on Sunday as the family gets together to celebrate Stacey's time home. I laid in bed watching a full moon rise above the tree line, slipping in and out of a parade of clouds. My mind wanders to other places and other times, and people who've come and gone. Tim snores beside me.
Am I the only person in the world who's awake?
Feels like it.
So I get up to check.

6 comments:

Mary Paddock said...

Nope. You've got company. :)

Stuart Peel said...

If it makes you feel any better, whilst you are asleep there, all of Europe is awake, working, living and having way too much coffee.

Portia said...

You are not alone. I've been up past 1 AM every night this week. Too much on my mind and too much to get done.

Enjoy your time with Stacey. Please pass along my appreciation to her for her service to our country.

jeanie said...

It must be the time difference - mine hits at 4 in the morning.

Hal Johnson said...

I can count on at least two nights of little sleep every four weeks. I usually sleep little the night before I leave to catch a flight to work, because I'm dreading leaving home and I want to savor the last moments. I usually sleep little the night before I catch a flight back home because I'm excited about going home again.

On nights with little sleep, it seems I waver between mild despair and an increased capacity for marvel.

Lavinia said...

It's so quiet at that hour that yes, one does feel like the only one awake in the world. Then you hear the chirp of a bird, and you realize you are not alone in your nocturnal solitude after all....