Thursday, September 11, 2008

Back from Oz

I've been thinking a lot about joy lately, about the things that make me happy, making mental lists: Getting mail. Selecting the perfect gift for a friend. Laughing with others. Laughing by myself. I like to read. I like alone. I like together. I like writing, picking and choosing my words. I like being stretched out in my own bed after a long day. I like the snoring lump next to me. I like tidy. I like listening to music. I like my big taking-over-the-house plants, fresh inside from a summer outside on the deck. I like a wine cooler in the evening, and my own freshly ground coffee in the morning. I like peaches. I like conversations with strangers. I like crisp ironed shirts and jeans. As I mentally compiled my list, I realized that, really, there is an awful lot that does make me happy. I also realized that none of it is unattainable. It's all present in my life, ready to be savored, ready to be enjoyed. Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. I've woken up to discover that all I was looking for is right in front of me. I feel a little stupid for losing track of it.

6 comments:

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

Geez you write beautifully!!! I love that you are looking through some fresh eyes there... but wondering if the sideways references to Oz people and the Wizard of Oz is all that flattering?? Lucky we have tough hides!!!
:-)
BB

jeanie said...

So we shall stop calling you "dotty" Deb and stop and smell a few peaches with you.

Debby said...

BB - a joke amongst friends. It made me laugh. What do you have against munchkins and wicked witches and un-omnipotent wizards anyways.

Thanks for dropping the hurtful names Jeanie. I imagine that will make me feel some better as well.

:^D

Lavinia said...

This sounds really good to me... I hope no Auntie Ems pop up to steal your sunshine...

Debby said...

Auntie Em was a nice old farm lady. That Miss Gulch was the dog hater.

Portia said...

Thanks for the reminder. It's important to step back and focus on what's going right rather than spending time and energy on fixing the unfixable.