Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Groceries

I remember grocery store expeditions where I'd be pushing a cart and I'd have a kid right behind me pushing another. Before we were done, we'd fill those carts. When we had five kids at home, a fair percentage of them teenagers, it certainly took a lot of groceries to keep them quiet and content. (We had discovered they got ornery when they were not fed. Probably a hereditary thing. I'm the same way, myself.) As the years went by, as kids left the nest, the trips to the store became a little less dramatic. The people waiting in line behind me were a lot nicer.
**********************
I went to the grocery store today. I bought our groceries for the week. Came to 16 items.
Gees.
This 'empty nest' thing is going to take some getting used to.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Ahh yes. The shopping.
I don't think it's strictly an empty nest thing Deb - I think it's the same for getting used to any major life changes. Your children may just have grown up and left home, but it's still a loss and you're still entitled to grieve as such.
I remember going shopping myself for the first time after M died. It was always his 'thing' and so I had no idea where anything was, nor how to manage 2 small children and a shopping trolley! Plus I always bought too much food because I couldn't get used to one less adult in the house.

jeanie said...

Oh darn - 16 things? I think I am looking forward to empty nest. Or my bank does, anyway.

Mary Paddock said...

I'm still in the over-flowing grocery cart stage. None of them are small eaters either. Good grief.

The only thing I'm looking forward to with respect to an empty nest is being able to cook the food I want to cook, as opposed to the food that will fill bellies for the least amount of money possible.

Pencil Writer said...

It's not that I don't like to eat . . . I just really hate going to buy groceries any more. I love cooking, but the prices on everything have skyrocketed so much lately! Eeeeekkkkk!

I just can't get excited any more. Just earlier this evening I bought two loaves of bread. That was it. And, yes. I do need to replenish my shelves, but I no longer get pleasure out of grocery shopping.

Give me a toddler going through my purse and chompping on my favorite tube of lipstick again . . .

Well, I love the memories NOW!