Sunday, August 17, 2008

Discovery

I've been discovering a lot about myself lately. I've been making a real effort to push myself out of my comfort zone, to challenge myself, to learn new things. Well, today I discovered something new about myself. We were at the other house, and I was doing drywall work. It's drywall over plaster and lathe. The drywall is plastered with that awful textured finish so often seen in the early 60s. It is a dusty, dirty job, and I was dust covered by the time that I was done. Even though I was wearing a mask, the sweat and grime mixed to make streaks on each side of my nose.
***************
Today, I discovered that I am not much fond of drywall work.
***************
Today, I also discovered that I'm very good at it.
***************
Damn it.

4 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

I feel where you're coming from. Years ago, I discovered that I had a talent for shoveling llama poop.

Debby said...

Okay, Hal. I'll ask. How the heck did you end up discovering that you had a talent for the poop scooping boogie, llama at that.

Hal Johnson said...

Debby, the short answer is: we bought llamas. At first, poop management was easy. They went in communal piles away from the barn. Then, one year, it rained every day of January. The llamas decided that with all that rain, they'd rather poop in the barn. That's when I discovered my real talent for managing llama poop. If you need to know anything at all about llama poop management, I'm your guy.

By the way, it makes excellent fertilizer. You just have to get it out of the barn.

Debby said...

So, come February, did you still have llamas? Do you still have them today? Do you raise them for their wool? You know, you could do a post on this...