Sunday, August 3, 2008

Change of Life

My sister moved in to one of our spare bedrooms. She's been unpacking forever. Unlike me, my sister is a hoarder. She's got a brass button bear collection, and she's got glasswear. "This is from Greatgrandma, and this is Grandma's, and these decanters are Grandpa's. They were throwing them away, but I saved them." She's got my dad's sweatstained cowboy hat, and a pair of his suspenders. She's lost a couple hundred pounds, so she has an extensive wardrobe. She came in with two cases of toilet paper, and box after box of groceries. Amazing, really. I stand there, blinking a little. We don't eat a lot of processed food. She stockpiled quite a supply of it, however, so now I've got a lot of unfamiliar things in my pantry, and in my freezer, and in my refrigerator, and her bedroom is decorated in her own style, with her own things.
****************
Eileen is not going to be here long. She heads to college on the 19th. Cara heads off to college on the 22nd. Son Mike is moving to New York State. Daughter Stacey is coming home on leave in the same time frame. I'm starting to feel like maybe we should install a revolving door here. But that would be stupid, becauseTim put a bid on a log cabin on Friday. It's a three bedroom. No neighbors. Very nice. He's right. Our present home is in a desirable location. We sure as tooting don't need six bedrooms any more. The property taxes on the cabin would be a big break from what we pay now, nearly a 50% cut. It would be an economical retirement home, with nearly 7 acres for Tim's hunting. We'll know by next Friday if we've got it or not.
****************
Gotta say...for a woman who finds great comfort in the unchanging nature of her life, my life is certainly changing.

13 comments:

Alison said...

Ah but darling Deb - Change IS the only constant in life.
Good luck for your cabin :)

Pencil Writer said...

Life IS. I often think of your blog's name "Life's Funny6 Like That". You prove it all the time. And (I wish for a key on my keyboard that would italicise for me!!!!) Life IS!

Enjoy the moment(s).

Debby said...

Okay, you sages!

Al, I used to be very big on moving and traveling. I remember once, my youngest sister said to me, "Sometimes, when I look out the kitchen window while I'm washing dishes, I wonder how you can STAND thinking that you might not be looking at the same yard a few months later." The hilarious thing was that I remembered washing dishes looking out my own kitchen window thinking, "How can Anna stand knowing that she'll be looking at the same view for all of her life?" Now I find myself comforted by the unchanging touchstones in my life. Something HAS changed. I think it is me.

Debby said...

Oh jeepers, PW, I forgot to say that you are correct. Life IS. No matter what.

jeanie said...

Life is what happens while you are busy making plans!

Good luck with all the big changes.

Oh - and pencil writer - use < i > before your italics, and < / i > after - without spaces. Like this

LL said...

Best of luck on your bid! Wow....lots of changes afoot here.....your life is caught up in a tidal wave, seemingly....but a good one...and its bringing good things with it...

Scotty said...

Ooooh, a log cabin - I could gladly live in one of those being a country boy at heart - good luck with the bidding.

:-)

Mikey said...

Wow, congrats! That sounds like a great place to be :)

Alison said...

I always wanted to know how to do that - thanks Ms Smarty Pants!

Fastfingers said...

Oh wow! A log cabin, 7 acres, middle of nowhere, NO NEIGHBOURS! I'm sobbing with envy. Are there any more? :-)

P.S. Packing as you read this.

Debby said...

Fastfingers - Not next door anyways...Don't sob with envy. You can come stay in our cabin on your next vacation to the states.

Alison, Jeanie is our resident genius and magician. Once I was freaking out at like 3:30 in the morning over some problem. Ms. computer guru straightened me out. Thank goodness for Jeanie and time zones.

Don't get all excited yet. Tim lowballed them. If a lot of people want this house, we won't get it. Tim is one for playing his cards carefully. (The last house we bought for $13,500.) This one has been on the market for awhile. Tim did some very careful research. This is not, by any means, a done deal. He reckons our odds to be about 90%, but we should know something in two days.

Fastfingers said...

Wow, last house $13,500, that's about £6,750 - you can't get anything for less than £100,000 over here (about $200,000). I sometimes get the distinct impression I'm living in the wrong country.

I can come and stay? Packing as you read this! :)

Debby said...

That was a stroke of luck there. Tim put a low bid in. On the top of it, an additional big problem was discovered that was going to cost several thousand dollars to repair. The thing was, we'd already made up our mind to gut the place. We lowered our asking price because of it, Tim cautioned wrote on the paperwork, 'final offer', and then began to look at other places. The bank officer called the realtor after a couple days and said, "Have the ---------- come up any on their offer?" Dave said, "Well, actually they're looking at other places at this point." Later that day, we got the house. It's the one you see pictured on the old stuff post. This particular strategy is not going to work for us on the log cabin though. We were outbidded. At this point, we're still in it, but we're mostly making sure that who ever else is in it is going to pay full price.

See ya when you get here, FF