Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Vet

Last night was not a good night. Buck was in obvious pain and whimpered something awful, having an awful time walking. I gave him a painkiller from when he cut an artery open and nearly bled to death in our yard. Anyhow, by the time that I went to bed last night, I had a sick feeling that I'd wake up to a dead dog. Nope. He was much better this AM. He had a visit to the vet anyways. The diagnosis is arthritis in his back. He needs to lose weight, the vet said. About 25 pounds. That was astonishing to me. He is a big dog and sturdy. I never thought of him as overweight. She gave him a strict diet of one cup of diet dog food, and one tablespoon of his Alpo. A day. Less than half of his normal rations. I'm glad Buck doesn't understand people talk. If he had known what she was saying, he'd have probably attacked her before she could finish her lecture.
**************
Anyways, I managed to delay his supper until after 7. We went swimming at the neighbor's pond. Well, he did. I watched. He liked this very much, diving in and doing a lap, leaping out to roll in the grass like a puppy, and then diving back in for another lap. I think he probably forgot he was hungry.
**************
He remembered he was hungry on the way home. One measured cup of new 'senior' dog food, topped with one half a can of his Alpo. We'll work our way down to the one tablespoon. When I set this before him, he looked at the bowl, and he looked at me. He daintily ate the Alpo from atop of his new dog food and sat there looking at me in askance. Like "Okay. Nice first course. Where's my dinner?"
**************
I guess dieting is no more fun for dogs than it is for people.
**************
And he won't stop looking at me.
**************
(Stop, Buck!)

7 comments:

Alison said...

Oh Buck, I am sorry!
I hope he adjusts quickly but more importantly, I hope he gets some relief from the painful arthritis.

Pencil Writer said...

Wouldn't giving him a TABLESPOON of Alpo be kind of like a slap in the face? I mean, dogs aren't usually into appetizers. I'm sure the nice VET was really thinking of how that would go over. Poor dog!

The swimming probably did feel really good, too. But, then, does it work for dogs like it always did for my kids and make him ravenously hungry?

Mary Paddock said...

Poor Buck. He'll get used to it. :)

When Solomon started suffering from DM (kinda like MS in people) I cut his rations pretty heavily. He was only slightly over weight, but my rationale was that he'd stay mobile longer if he wasn't carrying around extra pounds. He only complained for a day or two.
You can safely mix cooked (steamed) veggies in (check internet for list of good and bad) to help him fill up. Green beans are the cheapest solution and most dogs like them. I've even used single green beans as treats.

My dogs love also it when I put in a tablespoon of canned pumpkin, sweet potatoes, or plain yogurt. Sometimes them will help transition to a less palatable menu (like diet food).

The good news is, if you're consistent, he'll shed the pounds pretty quickly. Dogs' metabolisms are higher than ours.

jeanie said...

Oh poor Buck! Would small and often work? I wonder do their stomachs shrink too?

steviewren said...

I know how Buck feels. I am trying to work my way down to one tablespoon of the the good stuff (food I like) myself. I desperately need to lose weight. I don't like being hungry. There is no other way. Sorry Buck.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Well Debby, ever since the dog food scare, I have been feeding my dog mostly baby food. I buy the gerber chicken and rice, beef and sweet potato, etc. Bebbers loves it. Last week I ran out of baby food, so I gave him a small Cesar wetfood for small dogs. He sniffed it then looked at me and I swear his expression was "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"

Then he sat there patiently, waiting for his "real" food....

PaintedPromise said...

oh that "look" - i know it well... Darci was half a pound overweight. now wait, don't laugh, she is only 5 pounds total... so half a pound IS a lot! anyway she is crushed that she doesn't get a half a spoonful of Hannah's cat food any more... but i do use the "dirty" spoon to stir her kibble so she gets a few drops of gravy...

yes Hannah is a dog but when she was very ill last year, the vet said if she lost any more weight we would lose her, and to feed her whatever it took to get her to eat, he recommended cat food and that was all it took, she loved it. she's not ill any more but is a "hard keeper" especially when she is nursing so she still gets her cat food... one of these days she will say "meow" and i won't even think twice about it {lol}