Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Noble

I saw that Salman Rushdie has a new book out. His books are like pieces of intricate, elaborate art, rich in detail, fantastical and realistic at the same time. So I went to our small town library. 'The Enchantress of Florence' was not on the shelf. I was disappointed, but since there was a long line at the desk, I thought that I'd just look it up to make sure the library had it before standing in line to reserve it. Not only did they have it, it was IN. It was shelved with the new fiction on the shelf about a dozen steps from where I was typing on the computer.
Oh, be still my heart!
I snatched that book off the shelf, and furthermore, I stood in that stinking line and did not mind it a bit. Just to celebrate, I stopped and bought a case of wine coolers. I've got a three day weekend coming up. Parades, picnics and fireworks, and hanging with friends. I'm going to be a really excellent wife and encourage Tim to go to the car races Saturday night. He's been working awfully hard lately. He needs to go and relax. I don't go to races. I hate them, and it's a waste of money to buy me a ticket. But Saturday night is a big night at the track and I think he ought to go. I'm willing to make the sacrifice. I'll just stay home and read, and knock back a wine cooler or two. Not every wife is that noble, but it's the kind of woman that I am.

6 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

Ha! I suspected as much. Enjoy your time with the book and the coolers.

Fastfingers said...

You go girl! We should all have nights like that.

jeanie said...

What an exceedingly gracious wife you are!!

Enjoy.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Best wishes for happy reading, Debby. I have never attempted a Rushdie book. Friends who have, tell me its a tough slog. Like Dostoyevsky. so of course that means I doubly admire anyone who can read Rushdie. Enjoy!

PaintedPromise said...

i think i'll fall in with Lavinia. heavy reading is not for me... but hey, i will have a wine cooler with ya! that's about my limit and i crash lol

debby said...

Here's how you handle any author whose books are as heavy and rich in details and names as Rushdie's. You read a couple chapters and you put them down. I usually read big fat books in the matter of a couple days. You can't with these books. The Ground Beneath her Feet, actually took me a month to read, because I had to go back and begin it again, having begun reading it while I was on post surgery pain medication. You cannot 'rush dese' books. (Oh. I crack myself up.) But they really are works of art. Yes, Jeanie, I'm quite a woman! You have to look far and wide to find a woman as exceedingly gracious as me. I actually keep my little finger raised and bent when I'm kicking my husband out for a night with the guys. Oh, Hal, goes without saying. I will enjoy myself!