Monday, July 28, 2008

Miracles

You ever stop to think about the miracles around us that we don't even notice? The close calls that we, in our oblivion, pass through, unscathed, not noticing the danger diverted by a divine and unseen hand?
**************
Yesterday, we had some wicked bad storms (again...) tearing through the area. Tim and I went to the other house in town. Ten minutes later, we were on the road. In that ten minutes, the storm had hit, and there were downed branches and wires EVERYWHERE. I was worried about Cara heading home from Dylan's house on the other side of the state. I called and got her voicemail. I warned her that the storm was severe, and that she should pull over and wait it out, because it was fast moving, and by the time she finished a hamburger, it would be gone by.
**************
No worries. She got home that night, long after nightfall. (Map Quest is not infallible, did you know? I was shocked...) She was heading west and the storm was heading east. However she was far enough south that she was completely unaware of the storm until she began to head north on the final leg of her trip. Debris everywhere. At one point, she came across a large portion of tree across the road. She said, "I didn't have a choice. I went around it. I heard a big snap, like a popping noise. I pulled over and checked the tires, but they were fine. I don't know what that was..."
**************
This morning we went out to discover that she was about 20 feet of high tension wire tangled under and dragging behind our car. Was it 'live' when she went through it? I cannot say, and I shudder to think it might have been, especially knowing that she had pulled over to check those tires....

6 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my gosh! How scary for all of you.
I'm so glad timing was on your side.

To answer the fabulous question you pose in the beginning of your post - absolutely yes. I am almost always grateful for and amazed by the examples of divine intervention - and there are so many of them when you take the time to look.

Mikey said...

Oy!!! That's very scary! And she didn't see it??? Gasp!
Glad she's ok, but dang. That's a bit much!

jeanie said...

I immediately thought of powerlines being down as you told that story - thank goodness they weren't live.

Mary Paddock said...

I'm new to this teenage driver thing and it's every bit as scary as my mother assured me it would be (I didn't learn to drive until I was 27 so she didn't have to worry about me). Every time we send him out the door, we do it with a prayer. We were nearly hit by an oncoming car in our lane on a curve the other day--guess how old the driver was? My son, who was in the backseat, said, "I think I won't ever do that."

'Very glad Cara was okay. I'm sure she's glad she is too now that she knows what she drove over . . .

steviewren said...

Kind of takes your breathe away to think of the possibilities. I am glad you had your everyday miracle yesterday.

PaintedPromise said...

yikes!!!