Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happy

Over on her site, Rhubarb Whine, Shirley lists her 'happies'. Now here's the interesting thing. It's always a pleasant thing to think on the things that make you happy, but it is a challenge to look at all the things that make you happy and pare that list down to just the six things that make you the happiest. So when I woke up in the middle of the night, it gave me something nice to think on before I finally got myself up and began my day.
*********************
In no particular order, here goes:
1. I like the partnership of a good marriage. I like the fact that it is something that I can rely on, and I know this from a deep place in my heart. When Tim and I met, we were both working at a factory. He was a machinist/mechanic. There was a woman, Jane. She was, how to say it politely...heck, there isn't one...she was a rough looking woman who thought she was hot. She was also mean and competitive, and loved drama. She had lived a very hard life, and was bitter and angry. She would try to flirt with Tim, and then tell everyone I was jealous of her. I wasn't. It didn't even occur to me. She was bad news. Tim knew it. He's a quiet person who avoids people like that. When Jane's words were repeated to me, by another trouble maker who was hoping to see a cat fight, I was flabbergasted. I stood there saying, "No, I'm not jealous. I know my Tim", everyone listening thought that I was just saying the words. but I wasn't. Not at all. It was a 'ken', a 'knowing', and a certainty that in the midst of all the uncertain things in this world, there was one thing that was true and unchanging. Saying the words out loud was a shock. I knew how naive they sounded, but I was smart enough to recognize 'truth' and that truth changed my life.
2. I love thunderstorms. I really like the wind and the rumbling and the wildness of it. Mother Nature is a moody woman.
3. I like fireflies.
4. I like writing a column, the excitement of putting the words together, the joy when it comes together, and it says just what I want it to say, just the way I want to say it. It never fails to make me feel glad, and when I get e-mails from readers, it makes me all the gladder, knowing that there are kindred souls out there, that there are others who think in the strange way that I think, who believe as I do. I also like reading for the very same reason. I also like talking to people for the same reason, give and take conversation, laughing and enjoying the minds and thoughts of others. And blogging. I like blogging for the same reason. I know that's actually four things things, but let's just lump this entry under "I like words", okay?
5. I love asparagus. I love strawberries and watermelon, and crisp apples. You know why those are special favorites? It is because when you sit down to a meal of asparagus, it is like ingesting 'spring', filling yourself with the season. Making a meal out of fresh strawberries and watermelon is actually taking a heaping helping of summer, really tasting summer, eating of the richness of it until you cannot eat any more. Apples give that same opportunity in the fall. I don't think there is a food that I really associate with winter, but I do love fresh seasonal fruits.
6. I like stone. Stone buildings, rocks in the woods, little pebbles on the beach, tombstones. I like touching something that has been here, has borne silent witness to history unfolding, and will linger on long after I have gone, with an epic saga to tell, and no voice to tell it.
********************
So those are my happiest happies.
Narrowing them down to six was hard.
Lucky for me, eh, having so many happies that I had to struggle to find the happiest of happies?

7 comments:

rhubarbwhine said...

I love your happies.

Pencil Writer said...

Great post! You find happiness in many of the same things I do. Except for watermelon. Watermelon doesn't make me happy. Neither do cucumbers--same reason. But, I love your comments about stone. I often comment on how much I love stone, and want some at my house. Would LOVE a stone fireplace, stone (river stone) to line the "wash" behind our house that becomes a stream whenever we have one of those 3-4 inches of rain in an hour or so (esp. when we have days of that kind of rain!) And writing/talking/sharing thoughts, feelings, beliefs, struggles.

Thanks, Deb. Kindred spirit! Reading your blog makes me happy--except when you have really troubling stuff to deal with, then I'm not so happy for you--just happy to know you'll rise above it! :>)

Redlefty said...

I really like your #5, about eating the seasons. Never thought of it that way before!

jeanie said...

I loved the eating seasons imagery also.

What a great little task - you can't but help get a smile when you read, no doubt you had a heap of smiles when you concocted.

debby said...

PW, I've been dragging home rocks for all of my life. I have jars of them. Once I went to a beach on Lake Superior where you could just walk along and find agates. That was cool. I once found a geode in Lake Michigan.

Take a bite of summer, everyone! PW, I don't think I've ever met anyone that does not like watermelon.

Pencil Writer said...

Deb, if watermelon did to you what it does to me . . . well, you might change your perspective. Sorry I'm such a disapointment.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Deb, terrific post. Consider me your kindred spirit (or at least one of them). I love stone too. When one looks at stone, or old wood, one feels that passage of time, decades, centuries....the stones are silent, but they have a voice, and you and I, and countless others, "hear it", though it be not with the ears.