Thursday, July 31, 2008

Best Days

Yesterday, while I was out and about, I had to stop by a park to pull a trap. As I cut through the underbrush on the river side of the park, I passed by a playground area where a little boy was being pushed on a swing by his grandmother. His grandfather watched from the sidelines. The little fellow was chattering away. Suddenly he declared, "Today is the best day I ever had in my LIFE!"
It just tickled me to hear it, even though I know for a fact that the little man on the swing is going to have other 'best days of his life'. His grandparents said, "Really? The best day ever?" And you could tell that contented declaration had made two other people's day very, very special.
**************
I figured it up, just for curiosity's sake. I've had 18,694 days. I'd be hardpressed to pick just one of them to name the undisputed best day of my life. I've had lots of great days. Unforgettable days. Soul satisfying days. Pondering, dreamy days. I love my days. I gotta say, even the really sucky days were sometimes stepping stones to changes that made things better in the long run, so I guess I'm glad for those, as well. As a mom, some of my best days were the days I watched my children celebrate their own days, celebrating with them.
**************
I decided, right that minute, that I had a new goal in life. I'm not vain enough to think that my actions are going to create 'the best day of my life' for anyone. As we get older, it takes more that a turn on a swing to make the best day ever. I know, though, that I have it within me, to make everyone's day better. So do you.
Ready?
On your mark, get set, GO!

4 comments:

jeanie said...

Thanks Deb - very inspirational and yes, you did make my day better!

steviewren said...

I read this entry before work this morning. I hope you know, you made me cry and gave me a lot to think about the way I treat others. I need to remember that being nice is easy to do and may mean so much to someone else. Thanks for the reality break. I'll try to keep the picture of this little boy in my mind...

Debby said...

Jeanie, I hope that I really DID make your day better. I also hope that you took yourself to see the doctor today so that he can make YOU better. Gosh. That cough sounds gruesome. And I hope when you get home you lay down and take a 24 hour nap!

Stevie - it is a nice picture isn't it, the little boy swinging and talking a blue streak, everything perfect in his little world? I truly wish that all children could be just that fortunate!

LL said...

Wow, what a goal! What a worthy endeavour! Do please keep us posted on future anecdotes regarding this goal....