Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fly Forgotten

Today in church we sang an old hymn, written in 1719 by James Watt:
'Time like an ever rolling stream
bears all who breathe away.
They fly forgotten
as a dream dies at the opening day.'
***************
Reminds me of 'Dust in the Wind'.
'Same old song
just a drop of water
in the endless sea
all we do
crumbles to the ground
though we refuse to see'
****************
Time has always captured my imagination. There are great names which will always be remembered. Kings and Presidents, rich folks, poor folks, writers, poets, musicians, even ordinary citizens who made a difference in their time. There are plenty of great names in the here and the now. There is also greatness not yet born or born, maybe, but not yet ready to step into the greatness that awaits. The vast majority of us, as it is written, 'will fly forgotten'. I'm just about sure that I'm not going to change the world. I can, however, work in my 'now', I can, however, work in my corner of the world, making a difference as best I can before I fly forgotten.
*****************
I think on what was,
and I think on what is,
and I think on what is yet to come.
And at the very core of eternity, I catch a glimpse of God.

1 comment:

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Yes, most of us fly forgotten by the world, this is true. But there is One who never forgets...