Thursday, June 5, 2008

People Like That

I love irony.
(Not to be confused with ironing.)
Yesterday while driving, I came upon a car hastily pulled off the side of the road, door flung open, young man with black spiked hair, piercings, and a black shirt that said something about death, was running square at my truck waving his hands wildly, a cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth. Of course, I stopped. This rough looking man/boy knelt over a snapping turtle in the road, and carefully picked it up and carried it to the river side of the road and placed him over the guard rail.
I laughed and gave him a thumbs up.
He walked over to my truck and said, "He was a small one, but those f***ers can get pretty big," in a conversational way.
I love people like that.
No matter what they look like.

8 comments:

Scotty said...

Gives weight to the "don't judge a book by its cover" argument, doesn't it?

:-)

Redlefty said...

He's like a reptilian Good Samaritan!

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Bless him for his kind deed!

Mary Paddock said...

What courage he displayed--both in handling that snapping turtle and in looking foolish in some people's eyes. (NOT mine!)

jeanie said...

It gives heart when those you have lowest expectations of give you pause, eh?

alice said...

Great story. Shame about the ironing. (I could have given yo mine).

debby said...

He looked nothing like the St. Francis in my garden, that for sure, but a nice fellow (with an unfortunate vocabulary) to be sure.

Alice: Biggest irony...I love loose white shirts with a pair of crisp jeans. So even though I hate ironing, I do a lot of it.

PaintedPromise said...

great story, so glad you shared it with us :)

oh yeah, what was that address again, you know, to send my ironing???