Thursday, June 5, 2008

I Got Flowers

I've been pretty busy lately. Working. Trying to keep up with the house, juggle the special events that make life special. Today I got caught in a thunderstorm outside. I like thunderstorms, so I didn't mind so much. I got soaked to the skin because I didn't grab my raincoat out of my car before I headed out in my work truck. Not the brightest crayon in the box when I've got a mission planned, that's for sure. So I waited out the storm, listening to the rumbles of thunder. Except for a few bright flashes, the lightning was no cause for alarm. The storm was sweeping around us, not over us. A very minor disruption. So the storm was nice.
******************
There was another nice thing. Took my breath away. I came upon a patch of white violets. I love violets, and although I'd seen white ones before, I never saw such a big sprawling expanse of them. They were just everywhere. I couldn't stop looking. It was as if they were placed there, a secret just for me, just for my viewing pleasure.
******************
Tonight, we're hauling home a load of firewood and stacking it. Tomorrow, I'll go in early, and I'll work hard in 90 degree weather. I will come home early, and then it's Cara's graduation. We've got a busy weekend, more firewood, planning the weekend long party next weekend, Dylan's coming home, catching up on the housework. Like I said, I've been pretty busy here.
******************
Today was so great.
Today was so needed.
Today was 'the pause that refreshes'.
Today God gave me flowers.

10 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

What a gift such an unexpected joy must have been.

I'll bet it let you put that underwear trauma aside, ey?

Pencil Writer said...

Oh, Debby! You're convincing me we're more and more alike all the time! I love wild violets, too. I'm not sure I've seen white ones, however. My grandma and I always shared a love for violets. She always seemed to have some growing around her house and we'd pick them and put them in tiny little vases to enjoy in the house.

Some years ago, there were wild violets growing around our house, in our neighborhood. Like you, they were a very welcome gift! Most were not the vivid "violet" color, but more subdued one--perhaps not unlike the white ones that blessed your day today mixed with the more violet ones of my childhood memory.

Thanks for sharing. I'm smiling with the memories.

debby said...

Thanks for the PTS flashback, Hal

debby said...

Oh, I'll see if I can get a decent picture of white violets, PW

Pencil Writer said...

Whoa!!! Now you're reading my mind. Da da da, da da da . . .

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

What a lovely mental image... I don't need the photo. Your words do it for me!

Loved the Ironic post too - need Alanis Morrisette!

:-)
BB

jeanie said...

I am not sure I would know violets if I tripped over them, so a photo would be neat.

Congrats on the final high school graduation!

Redlefty said...

I can picture the violets! Awesome.

And good for you for being ready to see and appreciate them, instead of rushing off to the next thing. So many of us miss those moments when they're right in front of us.

PaintedPromise said...

mmm flowers - with all the crap life has dumped on me this week, i could use a day like yours :)

or, shame on me, have i just been so grouchy that i missed my flowers?????

Mary Paddock said...

Daisies. A couple of years ago my husband wrote me a poem about my favorite wild flowers lining the roads so they could wave to me as I went by. I can't walk past them now without thinking about those lines now.

'Sounds like a busy weekend Deb. I hope you enjoy it.