Monday, June 23, 2008

Freaky

Remember how I told you that I set traps in cemeteries, sometimes? And remember how I told you that I love cemeteries? I suppose it was inevitable. I came up on a small country cemetery today, and a graveside service was taking place. There were 4 people there, including the funeral director, the hearse driver, the cemetery guy who had, I'm supposing dug the hole, and would be responsible for filling it in. So there was only one fellow there who might have been an actual guest. But he was dressed in shorts, so I'm not sure that he was a mourner. But I looked at the little group and it just seemed so sad, really, such a small gathering. I sat in my truck doing the necessary site paperwork, and hoping that at the end of my life, I'd have just a few more mourners. Laughing at my own vanity, a little, because I'm sure when the time comes, I'm not going to be all emotional about it, no matter how it turns out.
*****************
I wondered about this service, this sad little gathering. Much to my shock, as I was leaving, I read the name, recognized it right away. This person was my relative.

9 comments:

steviewren said...

Whoa! This story gives you a lot to think about doesn't it?

I would like for people to be a little sad when I am gone because they enjoyed knowing me and because I meant something to their lives.

I hope to live up to that statement.

Pencil Writer said...

Whoa. So the word didn't get out to the rest of the family? Or, since in a very real but distant way we're all related? Or, how well did you know the deceased?

The picture painted was very dismal, but then the twist was at the end.

I'm sure, Debby, that when it's your time to depart this earth, there'll be many who mourn their loss on this side of the veil and many others on the other side who will rejoice to welcome you home.

jeanie said...

Oh that is truly sad, Debby.

Anonymous said...

"I wondered about this service, this sad little gathering. Much to my shock, as I was leaving, I read the name, recognized it right away. This person was my relative." -- That IS freaky. It's a mystery.I'd like to learn more about this person, how is it that he (she?) came to be mourned by only one person.
David Mascellani

debby said...

The woman actually lived in Arizona. I had seen the obituary, but did not read it all the way through. I didn't realize that she was being brought back to where she was from. Her husband was my grandfather's brother. I only met my real grandfather once.

She was quite old. I imagine that her family could not make the trip east, and they had been gone so long that the relatives in the area did not 'know' her. At least, that is the story that I've imagined to go with the picture that I saw, and it makes me feel better. How ironic, though, that I was there, at the right cemetery, at the right time. It was a jolt.

Pencil Writer said...

God moves in mysterious ways. You were there to note her passing and to feel sorrow for her. Ironic or not, you were in-tune enough to check up and find out the name and make the connection. She probably needed you there and would, I think, appreciate your concern for her "going it apparently, but not in reality, alone."

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Shocking ending, to a sad story. It really is sad that there were none to mourn her...no matter the reason.

I wonder why/how the fates brought you to that particular spot, at that particular time......

Hmmmmmmmm

PaintedPromise said...

{shiver} i got goosebumps!

sheer distance dictates that i probably will not stand at your graveside Debby but rest assured, if i hear of your passing, i WILL mourn!!!

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.