Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bon Mot

I should be up and moving. I've got an appointment in Tidioute at 8 AM. It's going to be a long day today. Won't get home until after 9 PM...if I'm lucky. I just have to have my morning coffee, so I'm sitting here in my robe, drinking coffee as fast as I can. Our county has lots of small communities, and Tidioute is one of the more independent ones. The school district closed the Tidioute School down a few years back. It was so small, graduating a dozen kids a year, that the school district felt it would be more cost effective to transport those kids to another school, an hour away. The residents protested, but the decision was made, and the school was closed. A year later it was opened again. Tidioute is running its own school, paid with money from its own community. So that's Tidioute...a town full of rugged individualists.
******************
One place where I set a trap is right behind the senior center. The last time I was taking down the trap, an elderly man came up and asked me what I was doing. I tell that I'm trapping mosquitoes. He proceeds to tell me that the mosquitoes were wicked bad where he came from, that he owned a big property and ran a nudist camp from it. He's wanting a shocked response. I said, "It doesn't seem very sensible to be running around naked in mosquito country. A certain amount of personal responsibility is called for, I think." Disappointed, he wandered off.
******************
I do have to say, I'm pretty good at snappy comebacks. In my past life, I gave a lecture on sexually transmitted diseases to every soldier coming in to Korea. Once I had an officer try to embarrass me in the crowd, asking, "Is it true that you can pick up STDs from a toilet seat?" Without missing a beat, I said, "Jees, sir, it seems like you could find a better place to have sex."
******************
Coffee's gone. No excuse not to be moving now.
Another day.

4 comments:

Alison said...

LOL! That is a very snappy come back. I'm sure they appreciated it far more than Dylan and your "long and hard" words of wisdom! (I'm still giggling about that!)

Pencil Writer said...

Debby, you rock!

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Laughing out loud! I love your witty rejoinders, to both the old man and to the soldier!

Sounds like you are going to have a long day, and so I hope that by the time you read this, your feet are up and you are relaxing...

jeanie said...

Well done - I generally only remember to unpack my wit well after the moment has passed!