Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tag! I'm It.

Susan, over at the Painted Promise Ranch (www.paintedpromiseranch.blogspot.com) tagged me before I left. So here I go:

What was I doing 10 years ago?

Oh, my gosh, that is so easy. I was having a hissy bird fit. Tim and I were due to get married, and I'd decided that I must have taken leave of my senses. I was in a panic, because I decided that I was a woman that men fall for in a really big way, but only for a really short time. I just knew for a fact that even though he was was dead certain that I was the woman of his dreams, he'd change his mind. So really, the only logical thing to do was to change mine first. Only I was afraid to tell him that I'd changed my mind. Ten years ago, I was a basket case. Ten years later, I'm glad that I never quite figured out how to tell him that I didn't want to get married.

What are five things on your 'to-do' list?

Disappointingly, I don't have a to do list.
I figure that life comes up just as you are meant to live it.
I've got goals:

I want to live to be a hundred.
I want a 50th wedding anniversary.
I want to write a book.
I want to see my children settled happily.
I want to be remembered for good.

What is my favorite snack?

Cottage cheese with peaches. Vanilla yogurt. Dark chocolate. Pistachios. Oranges. Asparagus. Avocados. Artichokes. Popcorn. Heck. I don't know. I'm indecisive that way.

What would I do if I had a billion dollars?

I'd travel. I'd be looking for ways to help people. Especially kids. Since having a billion dollars doesn't seem real likely, I don't spend a lot of time figuring out how to spend it, so my plans are kind of sketchy. If I suddenly fall into a billion dollars, I'll be giving it some very careful attention, though.

Places I've lived.

New York - Fredonia, Watertown
Pennsylvania - Irvine, Youngsville, Warren, Starbrick, Scandia
Missouri - Ft. Leonardwood
Texas - San Antonio
Seoul, Korea
Hawaii - Honolulu
Virginia - Alexandria
Maryland - Baltimore, Gaithersburg
Michigan - Midland

Bad Habits.

I bite my nails.
I really talk down to myself. Serious self esteem issues.
I cuss. I'm not an angry person, but I am careless in my speech sometimes.

Jobs that I've had.

Gads. Keypunch operator. Soldier. Mom. Writer. Customer service rep. Snack bar manager. Waitress. Cashier. Right now I'm the county mosquito/West Nile Virus Coordinator. Basically, I trap mosquitoes. Teach. I'm a Episcopal Layminister, which means nothing now that I go to a Methodist Church. I apprenticed as a midwife for a short period of time in Michigan, until they told me that I had to remove the Dukakis bumper sticker from my Honda Accord. I figured that if they were that narrow minded, the whole thing was bound to derail at some point over some other issue, so I just left, with the bumper sticker intact. Jack of all trades. Master of none. I've enjoyed almost all of my jobs, except the whole customer service gig. Surprisingly, the pissed off customers were not the problem. I was pretty good at that part. The supervisors were a constant pain in my nether regions.

I'll tag anyone who wants to answer the questions. Go!

Happy Mother's Day, everyone.

3 comments:

jeanie said...

So when is the big anniversary? I am glad you never figured it out, because it sounds like Tim is your darling.

Redlefty said...

I loved learning about you through these answers; thanks!

PaintedPromise said...

Debby i can SO relate to your 10 years ago (although mine was only 8). i too am glad i couldn't figure out how to tell him i changed my mind. if i had stayed married to my ex, the day after our 8th anniversary would have been my 20th... and i just had to tell Randy that with all my heart i was so glad that "yesterday" was my 8th and "today" was NOT my 20th... he just caught me sniffling over your Uncle Herman and he just smiles at me... (i read it to him and he can see why it made me think of his Uncle Mike...)