Sunday, May 25, 2008

Stranger

We had a picnic today. My nephew Tom was home from Virginia. It's the first time that he's been home in two years. He is a ex-Marine. Our family is a lot like the Mideast. We have our extremists, and our angry religious leaders, divisions, 'sides' and land mines all over the place, so I understand his absence. Heck. I live here, and I keep my distance from the more angry sects.
***********************
When I got the chance, I told Tom how much it meant to his sisters to have him home. I told him how wonderful it was to see him. He looked around and said, "I feel like a stranger."
***********************
I understood this too, being a stranger myself. I rubbed his shaved head and said, "Tommy. You are our stranger, and you are much loved."
***********************
I don't understand what petty grievances anyone in this broken family could find more important than making sure our children are loved and welcomed.
The blood of assholes flows in my veins, friends.

9 comments:

steviewren said...

I love reading your blog...because you are so honest. I'm glad you care about Tom and told him so. It will make a difference.

jeanie said...

I love how you found the right words...

Uncle E said...

Just a comment: very nice blog, and most importantly, you're the ONLY person I've come across who has cited the George C Scott version of A Christmas Carol as a favorite movie! Besides myself, of course.
You must have great taste!

Cheers!

E

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

OK, I burst out laughing, then stopped.

Firstly because I was concerned about your veins - asshole blood does not sound very... well... healthy! Dialysis might be required?

Then I was concerned about you and your family - perhaps they all need to travel? I have a theory that you need to experience the world and its sins and ugliness and beauty to comprehend the beauty in your own little corner of the globe. My theory on the Mid East is not that they need to travel so much, as they need to see GRASS. THere's no green grass in their views and I reckon that would send you barmy quick smart! It does me...

And then I felt for Tom... but then realised he has you. Lucky Tom. Enough with the theories!

:-)
BB

debby said...

That is so ironic, BB. I've always said that the reason my family is the way it is, is that they've never left their own corner of the world. Ignorance, plain and simple.

Never thought that perhaps grass was needed in the mideast. The thought made me laugh out loud.

Great taste? Heck, Uncle E. I like to think of myself as less filling.

Hal Johnson said...

Hm. I wonder how many people lie on their death beds wishing they'd shunned their families even more.

It's sad, but most of us see it in our own families, to one degree or another.

debby said...

Most families are like this????!!!!! Another illusion shattered. Thanks for that, Hal...

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

History is full of family feuds...some go on for generations....

I have known many people in my life who 'no longer speak with' their sibling(s).

debby said...

And now Lavinia, you know one more...