Monday, May 26, 2008

The Good Earth


In these days of rising fuel prices, we are glad that we have Bertha. Bertha is a Danish woodboiler, and she is hot. She lives down in the basement. Given a choice between me and Bertha, Tim would have to stop and think about it. I keep him warm at night.
Bertha keeps him warm day and night.
It's work to heat with wood. This morning started with a trip down to our woods to collect the windfalls from this past fall and winter. One of the downed trees was a hickory, which burns a good long time, but is some heavy, heavy wood.
We got nearly a truck load when the tire exploded.
Tim had run over the stumps of some underbrush he had chopped back. These stumps were small, but they destroyed the tire.
"Damn," I thought.
He calmly got out of the truck, surveyed the damage and said, "Well. I was afraid of that. I was trying to watch." He doesn't get excited about things. He rarely curses.
We got the truck up to the woodshed, and split and stacked what we had loaded.
It's a start.

***************************

I spend the day outside weeding my strawberry patch.

Looks like I'll have a lot of strawberries.

I wander over to the blueberry bushes.

Looks like we will have plenty of those as well.

I go take a look at our apple trees.

They've even got blossoms. I did not expect that.

They are young trees.

****************************

I've got a small garden going. It's all we need. It will be just Tim and I next winter.

****************************

I keep hearing all these dire warnings of where our economy is headed. It brings me great satisfaction to think that once Tim gets our venison this fall, our land will have fed us and warmed us.

****************************

How fortunate we are. I worry for people in cities.

4 comments:

Redlefty said...

Wow, I really love that.

I'm in the fourth-biggest city in the U.S. Different lifestyle for sure!

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Self sufficiency----if only more people were like you. YOur cosy wood, food, berries, etc....are you living mostly off the land? Wonderful! YOu must also in that case have some Henry David Thoreau running through your veins. Did you ever read Walden Pond?

debby said...

Not even close to 'mostly' living off the land, but our property does provide for us, and quite nicely, too. I lived in the city for years. I did not like it much, being unwilling witness to angry neighbors and random crime. I felt out of 'sync'. I am back to what I know, and the years pass with the patient rhythm of old routines. Gather firewood, planting, gathering, the quiet homelife of winter. I've always felt lucky to feel that I am where I belong.

jeanie said...

Having a garden is a blessing that should be enjoyed - and in this day and age, the fruits (and vegetables) of the garden enjoyed even more!!!