Friday, May 23, 2008

God is in the Details


A strange thing has happened to me. I'm feeling a little lost. Our church is doing great things: building another church, growing. I don't feel like I'm growing. There is the inevitable conflict that comes with change. Our church is divided, and both sides feel that God has spoken directly to them, so the words get increasingly sharp. People speak plainly once they know that God is on their side.

**************************

Last night I went out into the woods to think a minute.

**************************

Redlefty writes a blog called 'Megaloi'. He looks for great things from God. He makes me think. I
like that about him. I've been thinking a lot lately. Today, mostly what I'm thinking about is this
irony. In the midst of the cacophony that is life, where I find God is in the little things.
***************************




I never fail to find God in the details.

I never fail to find this comforting.

*******************************

I also wonder this.

When the new church is done,

when we have all the extra space in our pews

will there still be room for me?

5 comments:

Redlefty said...

I'm with you on the "small stuff". It's amazing where we seem to get glimpses of something... different... that may be a hint of the divine.

God always has room for you, even if a fallible group of well-meaning people don't.

You are a dear soul.

Hal Johnson said...

"God is in the details." I love that, and I think it true.

I guess I'm an "unchurched Christian." I haven't really enjoyed going to church since leaving the military, and that was decades ago. When I attended a service at a military chapel, it always seemed a no-BS zone, a place where hidden agendas weren't at work. I've seldom felt that way in civilian churches. Maybe it's just a luck-of-the-draw thing, I dunno.

That said, I think there's a lot of value in the fellowship and community that a church can offer. It's just that, for me, the real church is nature.

debby said...

Actually, Hal, it is very strange. I'm suddenly finding God outside the church walls more often than I find Him inside. I don't know why. I'm trying to find peace in the fact that at least I am finding him, but it is an odd time.

Redlefty: a hint of the Divine. That's a nice thought. Really, I think it's time for me to sit quietly and wait. And learn.

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

There is room in God's heart for everyone...

JJ said...

"The kingdom of God is inside you and all around you, not in buildings made of stone or wood.... Break a piece of wood and I am there... lift a stone and you will find me."

This is one of my favorite quotes :)