Thursday, May 29, 2008

Birds


I love birds. I feed them, all year around, although I know

that I shouldn't feed them in the summer.

The feeders attract bears.
I just love to watch them though.
This has been a very exciting spring.




In addition to the chickadees (nature's comedians)
and the nuthatches (nature's acrobats)



We have an abundance of housefinches.


Goldfinches by the scores


And coming in the driveway, I saw a baltimore oriole in the lilac bushes out front.

The indigo buntings seem to be hanging around the tall hedges in the side yard.

Maybe one of the nests there belong to them.



Rowdy bluejays



Cardinals.

And I watch all these colors darting back and forth. There is so much discussion in my backwoods area about color, what with Obama running for the democratic ticket. This area is pretty homogenus, and bigotry is common, especially among folks who have never been anywhere else. Why should it surprise us that the same God who created birds in all different colors should create His people in different colors? Why does this bother anyone?

And I've noticed that the birds all get along.

Just a comment.

3 comments:

Redlefty said...

Perhaps some of us would be better off with more feathers and smaller brains?

Nice thoughts and I bet it's such a good feeling to sit and watch all that life flit around your land!

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

I love them all. What a variety you have here.

alice said...

Where did my bear comment go?

Blasted cyberland!