Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

I'm up at the crack of dawn, and as soon as I heist myself from this chair, I will be off and running. I've got 13 traps to pull, bugs to sort and count, and samples to ship to Harrisburg. I've also got two classes on trees to teach. Yesterday, I worked from 7 til 6. My job is not usually this frantically paced, but I'm trying to get all my work done because we are going to Fort Jackson, SC to see Stacey graduate from boot camp. We will have 48 hours with her before she heads off to Fort Gordon, GA for her advanced training.
*******************
It's strange, this getting only the smallest chance to be with your child. Brianna's 36 hours. When Dylan made it home from Allentown for Easter, we had a three day weekend. He was back out the door and heading home before the dishes were cleared from Easter dinner. Mike works shift work, so we get our glimpses of him when he stops in as he's passing by for whatever reason. It's so exciting to see them, and then, just as quickly as they came, they are gone again.
*******************
I wonder sometimes if we managed to use our time with them wisely. Do they leave knowing they are loved? Do they know how much the 'old' folks look forward to these visits? I also find myself thinking about the exasperating child we do see on a daily basis. The one that won't help around the house unless she is made to. The one that will not speak in a civil tone, unless she is made to. My sister says she once heard that teenagers are so perfectly awful so you won't cry so hard when they move away. I guess it's true. Cara's chomping at the bit to head off to college, I'm just about ready for it to happen. And when she's gone, I'll sit in the empty house and wonder. And wait for the next visit home.
*********************
I will be gone from the computer for a few days, celebrating with one of the country's newest soldiers.

7 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

Enjoy your trip, Debbie. I know you're looking forward to giving that new soldier a big hug.

I'm going to miss you though. I'm kinda selfish that way.

Fastfingers said...

I know exactly what you mean, its absurd how much I look forward to offspring visiting their old ma, and they all live locally and I see them often (thankfully).

I've always believed that teenagers being awful is nature's way of making parents kick them out at the earliest opportunity - its all perfectly natural (although screaming full pelt into a cushion - or beating the crap out of it - isn't).

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

Congrats to your soldier... I am sure your kids know how loved they are. It shows here - am sure it shows in real life too!!!
:-)
BB
PS Travel safely

jeanie said...

Enjoy your 48 hours.

I suppose I have only ever seen it from the child point of view and am just understanding it all from a mum's point of view as it evolves.

Mary Paddock said...

I hope you have a good time with your daughter. Congrats on her graduation. Having a husband who was in the Marines, I've heard plenty of stories about boot camp. It's no small feat to graduate.

PaintedPromise said...

i can't wait for my nest to be empty but i am sure i will miss them when they are gone...

BTW i tagged you on my blog, forgot to tag someone and since you commented, you got it lol - but i did add it after you read that post so thought i'd better let you know...

i know you might be gone for a few days but whenever you get to it...

Lavinia Ladyslipper said...

Debby, your comment on my blog made me laugh...are you kidding? Me living an otherworldly life....I only wish....I'm as frazzled, time-stressed, tired, exhausted, grouchy, aggravated...as the next person. THere is a mountain of laundry on the bed waiting to be folded (it's been there for days)...I officially declared a laundry strike tonight until the clean clothes get sorted and put away....

The dog...the house...living with my elderly dad...if I close my eyes I can't even remember what I'm wearing.....throw in working full time...a teen that sounds ALOT like yours....hmmmmm.....its a wonder I can carve out a few moments a day to get to the pond, putter in the garden....it doesn't happen every day....life seems to be whizzing past me, and many many times I am asking...of myself and of the world...what on earth is going on and why?