Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tagged

I got tagged by Susan over at Painted Promise Ranch. Thanks, Susan, because I'm tired and stupid and can't think of a thing to write about. I was up early and out the door to vote before work. Lots of paperwork today, getting ready for the county Envirothon. I fret that I'll miss some vital detail and ruin a memory for some teens. I'm probably making mountains out of molehills, but building mountains is my special talent, so shush out there.
**********************
Anyhow this is going to be a disappointment. I'm supposed to talk about the folks on my blog list, answer questions about them, tell how I met them, etc. Short story there. I've not met any of them. Not a one. I can't answer questions about number 22 or number 23, because I have 10 people on my list. That doesn't mean I'm not bopping around other blog sites, reading and thinking, and leaving comments, but these 10 are my favorites. So I'll just tell you why they're on my list of 'good people'.
*******************
Brummie Blogs is written by a transcriber who works out of her home in Birmingham, England. She loves her family and her dog. That's ironic. So do I. She's a cheerful typopath who makes me laugh regularly, and got me in huge trouble with the word 'bollocks'. I assumed it meant nonsense, which it does, but in a literal sense, it means testicles. Who knew? I didn't, until I asked another e-mail friend (male) who's a Brit living in Sydney, Australia. So I have my Brummie friend to thank for that bit of humilation. Of course, I humiliate myself so frequently, that really, it just sort of blurs together, and so she has been forgiven.
*******************
There's Bush Babe. She lives on an Australian cattle station. She is a mom to The Little Woman and Dash the Wonderboy. She is married to Strong Silent Bloke. She gives the most wonderful glimpses into her life, and what is ordinary to her is extraordinary to me. She tells horrible stories about goannas and tree snakes, and has convinced me that I'd rather live here where the dinosaurs have the good grace to remain extinct and the stinking snakes stay on the ground. Her dog Cruel just had puppies, and I want one. Tim is not a fan of dogs, and he is glad that she lives in Australia for that one reason.
*******************
The Horseshoeing Housewife is Mikey. She slays me. This woman is tough as nails, shoes horses for a living, has a cutie-patootie little helper named Mercy. Wade is her husband. She loves him dearly, but also sticks rattlesnake carcasses in the freezer, and then asks him to get the hamburger out to thaw, just to watch him jump. I read her, and I know one thing for a fact. Mikey could kick my ass if it came right down to it. She loves animals and has a gi-normous heart. She is also responsible for my blog. Mikey nags. I gave up and began blogging just to get a break from her.
********************
Ifs of Og. Mike is funny stuff, a recovering fundamentalist. He wrote probably my favorite blog post of all time, The Law Concerning Beach Women'. Oh my gosh, I laughed until I cried and then promptly sent it to everyone that I know. The man is the master of stories with a moral. If you're not laughing, you're thinking. I love to do both. So Mike is one of those people I read each an every morning after I get Tim off for work at 4:30 am, and then spend an hour in front of the computer waking up slowly, reading the thoughts of friends I have never met, sipping my coffee.
*********************
Jeanie is another inhabitant of Australia. She is actually Bush Babe's sister. She has the same good nature, quick wit. I gave my own sister a mug for Christmas. It says, "I smile because you're my sister. I laugh because you can't do a damn thing about it." That's the kind of relationship these two sisters have. Jeanie is refreshingly honest about herself and her shortcomings. She knows how to laugh at herself, and I like that very much. There's some wild rumor that she's to be married this year. Some folk have been waiting a loooong time for an invite. Salina is her daughter and looks very like her cousins, The Little Woman and Dash.
*********************
Mary, at Jumping Off Cliffs, is a wife and a mother of 4 teenaged boys. She questions life, and faith, and writes. She navigates the swift and perilous waters of teenager angst, outrage and hormonal fluctuations with good nature. She's not throttled any of them yet, although we've agreed that her 18 year old son and my 18 year old daughter should never be allowed to meet lest they spawn a generation of rabid offspring that go straight for their grandmothers' jugulars when they try to cuddle the little cuties.
*********************
Susan at the Painted Promise Ranch is a friend of Mikey's (the Horseshoeing Housewife). She runs an equine rescue ranch. After her own disappointments in life, she has found joy, and she savors it as I myself do. She's joyous and kind and very thoughtful. After listening to me bitch about lady bugs, she found me a plant stake with a lady bug. She thought she was pretty funny stuff. I saved the box it came in, because she's going to get it back. Just as soon as I find something hilarious to ship out. Being that I am not a horsewoman, I've sought the expert advice of the horsewomen that I know. We're thinking. We're thinking. And to borrow a quote, Susan: 'We'll get you, my pretty...'
*********************
In the beginning, there was Ree, AKA the Pioneer Woman. She is the first blog I ever read, and I laughed myself stupid. She is also how I found Mikey. She is also how I found Bush Babe. And the Brummie. Her blog is so hugely popular that I'm not going to say anything more about her. Anyone who gets three hundred comments (three thousand if she's got a contest going) doesn't need me to say how great she is.
*********************
Scotty, The Frog Prince, is a good natured intellectual, a poetry writing fireman who's waiting for the woman of his dreams. (I think he's actually got her. ) You never know quite what to expect when you bring his blog up. That is what I like best about him. He is not boring. He seems as if he's watching the world go round with a wide-eyed interest, not missing a thing. I think I routinely leave my longest comments to this blog. He's always got some debate going on.
*********************
Finally there is Alison at Three Times Kewl. This woman lost her husband to a drunk driver, and is single handedly raising three toddlers alone. I admire her courage, and her devotion to her children, her free thinking. I think that I am in awe of someone who can find so much joy at a time in her life when she is still picking up pieces.
*********************
I just realized that there is someone missing from my list. Hal from over at Dispatches from the Away Dad Nation. He has a small son named Dylan, which is the name of my grown up boy. I have to say, this is a man who gets it. He understands the importance of being a good dad. He understands the importance of being a husband. He's quirky and funny, and as he puts it, a fine example of upper white trash.
*********************
And these are the people I start my days with. I love them all for lots of different reasons. And I've never met a one of them. Life's funny like that. Now let me get off my duff and get Hal added to my list.

7 comments:

jeanie said...

But we HAVE met you, Debby - in a bloggy sort of way!

Thanks for your sweet words. I always click on your posts when they pop up in my Bloglines first because I know I am going to smile.

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

OK, the sisters are clearly stalking you... look over your shoulder, there could be an Aussie lurking!!! Seriously, love the great wrap... and like Jeanie said, kinda feels like we have met. You probably know more about me than some of my non-virtual friends. But they know how I smell and you don't. (Not vomity today, anyway!).

Love your work girlfriend!!

Sorry about the polls (or whatever they were... exactly how many elections do you guys need?)

:-)
BB

debby said...

Actually, if I'm going to be stalked, it would be a lot of fun being stalked by you two. After you don't smell vomit-y, of course. (Something you don't know about me is that I'm a sympathetic puker...cannot witness heaving without heaving, myself...)

Elections. Oh, BB, you've hit upon one of my sore points. Okay. I'll give them a primary. One. They stump, we go to polls and vote who gets the Republican ticket, the Democratic ticket. ON THE SAME DAY. Stretching this thing out for months just makes me aggravated. One we decide who's on the ticket, let them go out and stump some more. And then we go vote for our elected official. The end.

Scotty said...

Why, thankee kindly, ma'am.

:-)

Mary Paddock said...

Many thanks Debby. It's an honor to be on your list

mary

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

Having trouble commenting on your current post for some reason (internet gremlins)... I would go crazy with all that politicking. We limit our campaigns severely over here - Aussies HATE getting a cheese-fest, bulldust-raising ear-bashing. They choose their own, get one shot at it, game over.
:-)

debby said...

Sounds good to me. The problem would be that the poor politicians would have to actually go to work. I don't think they'd be for idea.