Monday, April 21, 2008

Older Man

Today is Tim's birthday. I'm fixing his favorite meal: a venison roast, nicely seasoned, with carrots, onions, celery and potatoes. It's not fancy, but it's what he likes. He's not much of a cake eater, so I made him an apple pie with a crumb topping. I made a double batch of crust so that we can have a pot pie made from meat and vegetables left over today for tomorrow's supper.
(I guess I'm having an organized moment too, Jeanie).
**********************
Tim is 51 today. One month from today exactly, I'll turn 51 as well. I woke up in the middle of the night. I always figure that when I'm awake in the night, there's a reason. So I laid there thinking in the dark, about life, about where I've been, about where I'm going, about our kids, about my husband. I realized that my life really is my blog, chock full of good things, and not so good things, funny moments, tears, irrevocably tangled around the lives of others. I don't imagine that my life is really all that different from everybody else's, when you get right down to brass tacks.
*********************
Thinking finished, I turn over on my side. It never fails to happen. Tim, sound asleep, rolls toward me. His arm goes around my waist. He never misses a snore. And in a few minutes,
I fall back asleep as well.

5 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

Lovely post. I admire your talent for relating the richness in small moments.

Happy birthday to Tim! And by the way, you're 364 days younger than me.

Pencil Writer said...

Happy Birthday, Tim. My son has a birthday today, as well. #21. He's freaking out--well verbally--about being "that old already!" He'll get over it. I know I have in the . . . let's see . . . 38 years since I was 21?

Our menu will include Chicken/Corn Chowder--one of his all-time favorite dishes. Doesn't care about cake, either. Ya'll have a great day!

Scotty said...

Happy birthday, mate, from across the pond.

Have a good 'un.

jeanie said...

Of course Tim is a great guy - it explains it all when I find out you have married a Taurus! Wonderful people, Taureans.

The pie sounds good - and yes, I love the way you tell your love story. Something to make me smile.

Mary Paddock said...

Tell Tim he's got a belated happy birthday from Missouri!