Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hope

I got my package in the mail today. This is my new sister. She is a 24 year old married woman from Rwanda. Her name is Esperance Uwambagimana. She has a little girl. Her son was killed. I am her sponsor. I can write to her, and send small gifts. She can read and write only her name, but will be able to dictate letters back to me. Letters are important, the paperwork tells me. Many of the women carry their letters with them wherever they go. Even if they cannot read, the letters and pictures from their sponsors are sometimes their most prized possessions. $27 is taken from my credit card each month. That $27 will give Esperance an education and vocational training. I'm getting ready to send Cara to college next fall. The one thing that I know for sure is that it's going to cost well over $27 a month, so Esperance's education is a good deal.
***********
I cannot save the world.
But I've been sponsoring my 'child' Badani for a couple of years
Now I have Esperance.
For the price of a cup of coffee a day, I am saving my piece of this world.
Esperance means hope.
I look at their pictures.
I have a hope.
I hope that I am making a difference.

1 comment:

jeanie said...

Hugs to you Debby for doing your bit to bolster the hope of the world.