Friday, March 7, 2008

Buck

Over on http://www.bushbabe.blogspot.com/, BB has been talking about her dog, Cosmos, who's gone on to run in the canine version of elysian fields. Any person who has a dog who suffers from arthritis will be comforted by that picture.
*******
My dog is a big old stray that I found and hauled home. We don't know much about Buck except that he is a very well trained dog who's been abused. He's still suspicious of men. I don't understand that. Who spends so much time training a dog, and then abuses that dog, ultimately dumping him off along a country road? Anyways, I found him trotting down the middle of the road as cars swerved to miss him. I went home for a bucket of dog kibble. (My own dog had died just two days previously - how strange is that?) and followed this dog for some distance. Finally he stopped, and at a church. I parked the car, placed the bucket of dog food about 10 feet from me, and pulled up a piece of ground. The dog was hungry. This kept him close. I began to talk while I waited. I told him what a fine dog he was, and how smart he looked, and I told him about my dog Kooj who died. Eventually, he dared to come close enough to begin gulping food. Now people say that I could carry on a conversation with a stump, and that particular day it came in quite handy. He wolfed food, and I talked on about this and that and whatever else came to mind. Eventually his hunger was sated just enough so that he was able to stop wolfing, and to chew his food some, studying me while he chewed. I talked on. The time came when he was full. I was still talking. He stood there staring at me. Suddenly, he came over to where I was sitting cross legged on the ground and stood staring at my face. I stopped talking and I stared right back. Without warning, he buried his big old dog head in my neck making nervous whistling noises.
**************
This is how I got Buck-the-amazing-wonder-dog. He is the best dog I ever had. There is something profound and binding about watching another being make that decision to trust you. I could never break that trust. He knows it.
**************
Buck struggles up the stairs to sleep outside my bedroom door. Tim still makes him nervous after all these years. He wants to be close by in case Tim decides to act up in the middle of the night, I guess. The thing is, I've been trying to convince him not to come up stairs. Buck's getting old, and he's getting stiff. He fell down the steps three times this week. I give him his pain relief that does not seem to work all that well, and I feel a little sick inside, because I know what happens next is going to break my heart. But I was looking in his eyes when he made that decision to trust me. I love that dog, and when the time comes, I will do the right thing. And I will hold his big dog head in my lap, envisioning him running in the canine version of elysian fields.

9 comments:

A said...

Buck sure does sound like a wonder dog :)
It's amazing how animals can have such a huge impact on our lives. I'm sure he trusts you to make the right decision for him when that time comes - And that is another gift you can give him.

Mikey said...

awwww! That's such a good story. So sweet!
I hope he lives for a while longer so you can enjoy every moment. It's so hard when the time comes...

Mary Paddock said...

The dogs which choose us are the best ones. It's a truly blessed person who gets to experience this.

My favorite dog quote of all time:

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog." - Gene Hill

Bush Babe (of Granite Glen) said...

OK y'all - you are causing my laptop to rust! Mary and Deb - darn you pair... that was just beautiful and now The Little Woman is wondering why mummy is crying at her computer (again!). Am so pleased I told Coz a million times how much I loved him, cause even though I had geared up to do the vet visit at the Right Time, in the end he went in his own way. I have wonderful visions of him bounding his enormous Dane bounds (arthritis free) in the lush Elysian Fields. Or galloping on an Elysian Beach. Or snuggled in a comfy Elysian dog pillow.
*sniffle*
BB

debby said...

Well, we've all bawled over each others dogs at this point...I guess this has become something of a sisterhood at this point.

PaintedPromise said...

oh man, you guys have me going too! we've got an old one here and it is a constant discussion... i have told him that as long as he is enjoying life he is welcome to stay, but if the pain gets too much, all he has to do it tell me and i will make it stop. one day he was just UNDERFOOT and finally i said to him "are you trying to tell me something?" and i swear he LOOKED at me all startled-like and then he RAN AWAY! guess he wasn't yet... but as the days go by, sometimes it seems he is hinting now. then he will run and play the next day...

Fastfingers said...

Oh he sounds lovely! Just be thankful you found him and have had him all these years - dogs really do make a difference in your life.

On a different note, "Conversation with a stump" made me laugh out loud.

debby said...

I've rejoiced with FF over her dog Sam, cried over BB's Cosmos, and Mikey's poor shot dog, and Mary's old dog, laughed at a's homework eating dog. We really are a bunch of sooks, as you aussies phrase it.

FF - conversation with a stump is actually, sadly, true. I used to be painfully shy and quiet as a child. I've gotten over it. Too bad for everyone else, I suppose.

jeanie said...

I think Buck must have been sent to you. It is so hard when they aren't puppies any more.