Friday, February 1, 2008

Luxury

What is luxury to you? A lot of expensive things have the adjective 'luxurious' thrown in front of it. Houses, cars, jewelry, clothes, the like.
********
Here is luxury to me. I am sitting in a warm house. The sleet is pounding against the windows. They are so iced up that you can't see through them. The wind is howling. I don't have to work today. I got up with Tim at 4:30, packed a good lunch for him and WENT BACK TO BED! I read an old novel until I fell back to sleep with my reading glasses on my nose. And I slept until I woke up. No alarms.
********
School is canceled, so Cara and I are having leisurely cups of coffee, hers black and unsweetened, mine cappucino, with milk, a little bit of sugar and a drop of vanilla. We've been visiting and laughing. You don't get the opportunity to really connect with your 18 year old on a regular basis. She's the last of the five, and headed for college next fall. I am savoring these small moments.
*******
I've checked e-mails, updated this blog, getting ready to log off.
*******
I've decided to spend the rest of the day fixing a special supper. I enjoy cooking, but don't really get a lot of time to devote to simply making a great meal, so this will be fun.
*******
I'm still schlepping around in my bathrobe.
*******
This, my friends, is the most luxurious morning that I've had in a long time.
*******
(stretches, sighs, waggles bare toes)

3 comments:

Mikey said...

ahhh, that sounds like luxury to me!!!
You go girl, enjoy your day. I love to be snuggled up tight when it's miserable outside :)

PaintedPromise said...

as for me, i'm just glad it's not miserable outside like that here, because i can't snuggle up tight... but tomorrow... aahhhhh

debby said...

Oh, Painted Promise, feeling sorry for you right now. As a matter of fact, I think that it sucks to be anybody but me.

(stretches, sighs, waggles bare toes)