Friday, February 22, 2008

Eclipse

Wednesday night, I was walking to my car from play practice when I noticed that the lunar eclipse had started. I drove to the gas station and watched the shadow slowly and steadily creep across the face of the moon while I filled the tank. This was surely more entertaining than watching the numbers on the pump. I drove the grocery store to pick up a couple of things, but before I went into the store, I stood beside my car just watching that eclipse. Out of the cold darkness, I heard a voice say, "Isn't that just the most amazing thing?" I'm pretty oblivious so I never even noticed the man standing at HIS vehicle, also watching the eclipse. I had to agree with him, because it was amazing. I walked into the grocery store, wondering how many people stopped what they were doing to watch the display, pausing in the midst of all their busy-ness to take note of nature making a spectacle of herself.
Inexplicably, it made me happy.
Suddenly a song popped into my mind.
Remember Cat Stevens?
I waited until I was back in my car to begin singing 'Moon Shadow'.

7 comments:

jeanie said...

I absolutely love it when nature and the universe pull off something and make us stop and take notice!

Lucky you for having front row seats.

jeanie said...

Darn - and now I have that song stuck in my head...

debby said...

There are worse songs to have in your head. Once a friend e'd with the latest news at his house. He wrote 'thunder bolts and lightning very very frightening' and it jsut niggled at the back of my mind for a while until I figured it out. Yep. I had Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" rattling around my brain for an entire night shift. This was nearly as bad as having some mindless toothpaste jingle jangling around in your mind. Gah.

jeanie said...

I would have preferred BR - at least I know some words.

With MS, I know the chorus and then hum the rest!

But oh so true - there are EVEN worse songs to have in your mind.

A said...

I'm so in love with the moon. There's just something so awe inspiring about it.
Great song - My 'moon song' is Message in a Bottle.
MUCH better than the "Hello, hello, how are you?" children's song that plays when you press the toy unicorn's foot... 'Hello, hello, hello, hello, hello, hello, how are you? Hello, hello, hello.......

debby said...

Oh, when my youngest was small, it was a purple dinosaur singing 'I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...' Yes. That type of music is especially maddening when it gets stuck in your head. I like Sting as well, although I'm now singing THAT song trying to fit it in with moon watching. (I guess, Jeanie, that is what you call 'payback'!

I love the moon. I love the stars. I love the clouds. There's something dream-like about sky watching. It seems to put things in perspective for me.

A said...

Ha.. I was listening to message in a bottle when I wrote that reply.. The 'moon song' I was actually think of is 'Walking on the Moon'.
And I love that word - perspective :)