Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mothers

A mother is only as happy as her unhappiest child.
****
I think this is true.
****
My 26 year old is missing.
****
She walked out of her life, her job, her apartment, her furniture, clothing, her things. Her cell phone rings, and the voice mail says "Merry Christmas, y'all." We've been getting stalkerish e-mails from her ex-fiance.
****
She's called. She sounds completely rational. She will not tell us where she is. She's not using her cell, she says, because it's broken. She acts as if it is completely normal to just suddenly decamp, leaving the camp behind. Not a word to anyone. Her brother had been there visiting when she left. She offers no reason. She's living in a farmhouse somewhere with 3 men. That's all.
****
"Don't worry," she tells me.
****
I'm sick with worry.
****
Please pray for my daughter.

1 comment:

PaintedPromise said...

i've got 3 girls myself... i cannot imagine what you must be going through! i will pray for your daughter, and for YOU too!