Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Aliens Are Among Us

I've got a sister.
******
She is one year and ten days younger than me.
******
She's been pretty sick, and had surgery in December. She was in critical condition for a week. She made it.
******
Between making the half hour drive to the hospital to see my sister nearly every day, working, meeting column deadlines, and trying to get ready for the Christmas holidays, I got behind on my domestic responsibilities. I was getting that harried, panicked feeling a person gets when they've got a wagon full of stuff to do and not nearly enough time in the day to do it.
******
My sister was released from the hospital the Friday before Christmas. She came to our house to recuperate. I was anxious to have her with us.
*******
Let me say this. My sister is one of these domesticated women that cannot sit still. I kept losing her. Now I've got a big house, six bedrooms. 4 of them empty because the ungrateful children grew up and left the nest. So it is possible to mislay things at my house. I lose reading glasses, papers, books etc. on a pretty regular basis. But I'd never lost people before. This concerned me.
******
I kept finding my sister, of course. She'd be in the basement at my washing machine, or wandering around with some cleaning things in her hands. This made me pretty ashamed. So what I tried to do was get things done before she had a chance to get to them. Suddenly, the house began to take shape. Even the small things were getting done. At an amazing rate, too, because my sister's response to my increased activity level was to get even busier. I mean CLOSETS got cleaned. This was some manic activity, let me tell you.
*******
My sister is back home now. My house looks great. I'm really pretty zealous about keeping up with it, to make sure that it doesn't slip back into a pre-sister state. It feels nice to have an organized house.
*******
Because my sister was so sick she'd lost a lot of weight. Nearly 150 pounds, incredible as that sounds. I had to really focus on making nice easily digestible, highly nutritious meals. Now, I've got a freezer full of highly nutritious meals as well.
*******
I've been a freaking dynamo at work these past couple weeks, too. Getting things done, being organized, making steady measurable progress in the half dozen major projects that I've got in my lap, ticking things off my to-do list with great efficiency.
*******
I'm not only meeting my writing deadlines, I'm ahead of the game. I am two extra articles ahead for each column.
*******
The dog is even bathed. My husband did not have to make one comment about 'doggy smell'.
*******
My resolution is to lose that 15 pounds that's been steadily attaching itself to my menopausal self this past year. I got on the scale this morning. I have lost seven pounds since the New Year began.
*******
Okay.
*******
I admit it.
*******
I'm afraid.
*******
Who is this person at my computer? I don't remember the space ship, but where did the aliens take the old me?

1 comment:

Mikey said...

Isn't that the best feeling in the world??!!! Things are DONE! Don't worry, it won't last long, lol.
But kudos to you for everything. I'm so glad your sister made it :)