Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Busted Pipe

Yesterday. at work, I answered the phone. It was one of our farmers. John. I call him Tiny. Mostly because he's not. At all.
****
So I said "So hows it going today?"
****
And John says, "Plain awful. This has been the most awful day. Just every damn thing going wrong."
****
I said, "Jeepers, John, I'm trying to think of some comforting words here, but I can't. I don't think that I have any left, having used them all to comfort myself this morning when I walked into the basement and discovered that a pipe had burst on the water softener over night."
****
John rumbled with laughter in his big deep voice, and said, "Well, do you have any colorful words for me then?"
****
"Sorry, Tiny. I used them all up this morning, too.
****
I need to lay up a store of emergency rations, keep a stock pile of colorful phrases and comforting words for times such as these. I hate being caught short like that.

No comments: